Pretty Cool Lego Girls Robotics Team
We began our FIRST® LEGO® League (FLL) program at Real IMPACT Center, Inc. in 2015! During our very first year participating, our Pretty Cool Lego Team #15960 won the Innovative Solutions Award from among 24 teams at Middle GA Regional FLL Robotics Competition.
The program has been shown to encourage children’s interest in science, technology, and engineering through a real-world challenge – to be solved by research, critical thinking, and imagination.
We have a platform of girls who we wish to expose to STEM careers, while teaching life skills along the way. Therefore, our partnership with LEGO Education provides hands-on solutions to engage the girls in robotics, research, and core values. Better yet, FIRST is a program that grows with students.
Beyond FIRST LEGO League, there are additional programs that challenge students yet continue to engage them to build their technical skills along with teamwork and communication.
Girls are selected for the team based on the following criteria:
- Was a member of team last year
- Participated in robotics week at camp and exhibited a high aptitude in robotic coding
- Participated in robotic club during STEMtastic Saturday and demonstrated a skill set equivalent to the current members.
Girls are not required to have participated in all of the above activities to join the team. If not accepted to the team, girls will be referred to our Real Girls Code Club, GPSC Robotics Week, or Robotics Club.
Thank you for your interest and we look forward to seeing your girls at future events!
Here’s how First Lego League Robotics works:
Students ages 9-14 get to:
- Design, build, test, and program robots using LEGO® MINDSTORMS® technology.
- Apply real-world math and science concepts.
- Research challenges facing today’s scientists.
- Learn critical-thinking, team-building, and presentation skills.
- Participate in tournaments and celebrations.
- Program Age Group: Children ages 9-14 in the US
- Mentor Commitment Time: 1-4 hours per week